Thursday, May 8, 2008

How These Eyes Learned to Hear

The Twelve Essential Albums in my collection.

Over the next couple of weeks I will analyze the 12 albums that redefined the way I listen to music and experience a band. They are not all LP's, as one is a soundtrack of sorts and another is a greatest hits collection. The albums are not among the elite ever recorded, but they are unique and they developed a music sense in my makeup. They vary in genre and relavence, but all are crucial to how I got to where I am today.

In no set order, here are my 12 Essential Albums:

The Moon and Antartica - Modest Mouse
Check Your Head - Beastie Boys
Graceland - Paul Simon
Superunknown - Soundgarden
II - Led Zeppelin
Stop Making Sense - Talking Heads
Hampton Comes Alive - Phish
Full Moon Fever - Tom Petty
Red Medicine - Fugazi
Odelay - Beck
Chronicles I - Creedence Clearwater Revival
Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine


So reader, what are some of your Essential Albums?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A half-dozen that influenced my listening habits:

a. Radiohead- Ok Computer. This was my introduction to the best band of our generation. I'm still waiting for the BCP write-up of their Charlotte show; they rocked faces in Atlanta.
b. The Strokes- Is This It?
c. Broken Social Scene- You Forgot it in People.
d. Palace Music- Viva Last Blues. This one is criminally under-appreciated. Every southerner should own this record.
e. The Smiths- Singles.
f. Neutral Milk Hotel- In The Aeroplane Over the Sea. I know this is an obvious choice, but it's my favorite album of all time.

Brandon Pue and Janet Overman said...

I would agree that OK and Aeroplane are among the greatest albums of our time, I just heard Red Medicine before Ok and heard Moon before Aeroplane...I'll explain in my posts. It's not just the album itself, it's what the album taught me to listen for, thus alllowing me to find what else was being offered.