Wednesday, August 15, 2007

3 That Got Away...Well Almost

With the Fall fast approaching and some heavy hitters on the way I need to take a moment to comment on three albums I failed to mention earlier on (two of which were out before this kickass blog got underway).

The Besnard Lakes Are the Dark Horse - The Besnard Lakes

A dark and haunting composition that at times calls upon the folk-rock storytelling of the late 60's - 70's while dabbling in the sounds of Pink Floyd and at other times lives in the current with expansive landscape of modern indie/jam acts. The album has rolling songs that revisit riffs and crescendos time and time again, making a unified sound. There are muffled layered vocals that appear throughout the album, giving an eerie feel that rest up to the high utopia of the walloping climaxes of the growing sounds.
Rating - 7.6

Plague Park - Handsome Furs

Pitched as a side project to Wolf Parade, this Dan Boeckner excursion excels in its own right and given a few listens its claws dig deep. The down tempo beats and quirky vocals are an odd sound that won't sit with most, but those that take to it will find this album to rank among the better releases of the year. More direct and focused than many of the Spencer Krug works of late. The has a 'sound' to it and the passive listener may hear it as dry and uninspired, but it's the dark and brooding elements that shed light on the high moments, bringing depth and intrigue to the album. I've found myself humming these tunes off and on over the past few weeks and only recently realized the power of the album. This has become one of my favorites of the year.

Rating - 8.2

Sound of Silver - LCD Soundsystem

I only got this album last week, not sure what my holdup was...well I guess I do, truth be told I'd never listened to LCD before, simply heard of them and stream a song or two, didn't think it would be my thing. I was wrong. This is album is great. A stark contrast from what I usually play, heavy on techno sounds, deadpan speaking vocals and lyrics about the scene in New York, I usually disregard this type of band/album before they even have a chance. But recently I heard one of the songs off the LP and I thought, hmmm, maybe I should give it a whirl? I am now a fan of all things LCD that includes Soundsystem in the title.

Rating - 8.0

No comments: